A poll published Thursday found 72.7 percent of American voters say they are not likely to vote for candidates running in the midterm elections who support gender transition procedures for minors, such as puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and surgeries.
The survey, sponsored by Convention of States Action and conducted by The Trafalgar Group, found 63.3 percent of 1,080 likely general election voters say they are not likely to vote for a candidate who supports gender transition medical procedures for minors, and 9.4 percent say they are somewhat less likely – a total of 72.7 percent who say they are not likely to vote for candidates with those views.
Among the respondents, 27.4 percent say they are likely to vote for a candidate in the midterms who supports allowing minors to undergo gender transition procedures.
The poll, which has a margin of error of 2.9 percent and a confidence level of 95 percent, also found that a large majority of Independents joined Republicans in opposing candidates who support children and teens having gender transition medical interventions.
Among the Independent voters surveyed, 79.2 percent say they are not likely to vote for a candidate in the 2022 midterms who supports allowing minors to use puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and undergo life-altering transgender surgeries, while 20.7 percent say they are more likely.
Of the Republican respondents, 96.5 percent say they are not likely to vote for a candidate who supports gender transition for minors, with 3.5 percent responding as more likely.
Among Democrats, 42.7 percent say they are not likely to vote for a candidate in the 2022 midterm election who supports allowing children and teens to use puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and undergo sex-change surgeries, but 57.3 percent say they are more likely.
“As with so many other election 2022 issues, the far-left has gone too far in pushing unrestricted transgender procedures for any child at nearly any age without any restrictions,” said Mark Meckler, president of the Convention of States. “Voters – most of whom are parents – know that this policy goes wildly beyond common sense in a country where we restrict entertainment, alcohol use, medications, driving, voting, and even criminal sentencing for minors.”
– – –
Susan Berry, PhD, is national education editor at The Star News Network. Email tips to [email protected].